Put your hiking boots on!
Asheville is nestled in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains and I highly recommend planning some trips to explore waterfalls and get some hiking in! Here is a list of my favorites (Keep in mind, these are only the ones I have personally visited. Ask the Google for more recommendations if this is your jam!):
- Sliding Rock: As the name suggests, if you bring your swim gear, you actually slide down a mountain stream over smooth rocks! It's an incredibly fun time! Small fee for parking and remember that these mountain streams are cold!
- Looking Glass Falls are B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L. No swimming but pretty!
- Graveyard Fields is a great spot for hiking, waterfalls, camping and picnics.
- The Folk Art Center is a destination on the Blue Ridge Parkway. If you enjoyed the Southern Highlight Craft Guild in Biltmore Village, you will love this country's oldest handicraft shop, museum, exhibitions and American Craft Library. From there, drive to Pisgah Inn for lunch or dinner with a beautiful mountain view.
- A little town completely off the beaten track is Barnardsville. Head there to hike up to Douglas Falls or go on a zip line adventure through the treetops (Navitat). You want to call a few days in advance and make a reservation.
- If you're ok with a bit of driving, it might be worth visiting Linville Falls 70 miles north of Asheville. Good hike and gorgeous falls, pack a picnic!